Sunday, July 25, 2010

Whole Wheat Yogurt Waffles

 
Breakfast for dinner is the best.  We just ate these waffles with scrambled eggs and it was awesome.

But if the meatloaf I posted last week was like having a Big Mac & fries with a Diet Coke, this recipe is like having a green salad with vinegar... and a milkshake.

The waffle itself is super healthy.  Although if you eat it as Mr. Vittles and I did (as pictured), the real whipped cream brings the health factor down a bit.

However, neither of us put syrup on it because I doubled the sugar in the recipe (relax, its only an extra 2 tablespoons for the entire recipe - you'd consume way more than that if you drowned it in syrup!) and added a bit of sugar to the whipped cream.

Mr. V doesn't like healthy foods anyway.

When I asked my standard question during every meal "How is it?" I got the standard answer "It's good."

But when I replied "Good - not bad for being healthy," Mr. Vittles immediately turned his nose up.

"Eww. Healthy."

I think he was only half-kidding, and that's probably being generous.

I guess if I had a job where I was literally running around a golf course for over 12 hours a day, I probably wouldn't care much what I put in my mouth either.

But alas, the activity level at my job equates more to that of a bump on a log.

So it's whole wheat yogurt waffles for me... at least until I get old enough to eat chocolate coconut blondies all day.

Whole Wheat Yogurt Waffles
  • 1 C. whole-wheat flour
  • 1 C. all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 t. baking powder
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 1/4 t. baking soda
  • 1 1/2 C. nonfat buttermilk**
  • 1 C. nonfat plan yogurt**
  • 1 large egg, separated
  • 1 T. canola oil
  • 1 T. vanilla extract, (optional)
  • 2 large egg whites
  • 1/4 C. sugar (or, you can use 2 T. if you plan on putting syrup over it)
Stir whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a large bowl. Whisk buttermilk, yogurt, the 1 egg yolk, oil and vanilla (if using) in a separate bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon just until moistened.

In a separate bowl, beat the 3 egg whites in a grease-free mixing bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add sugar and continue beating until stiff and glossy. Whisk one-quarter of the beaten egg whites into the batter. Fold in the remaining beaten egg whites with a rubber spatula.

Preheat a waffle iron. Brush the surface lightly with oil or spray with nonstick spray & cook according to waffle iron manufacturer's instructions. (Or: Fill the waffle iron two-thirds full of batter. Cook until the waffles are crisp and golden, 4 to 6 minutes, depending on how you like them.)  Serve with syrup, or powdered sugar, or whipped cream and fruit.

**Note: I made these waffles with nonfat Greek-style plain yogurt, not regular plain.  I like the Greek style because its heavier and has a ton of protein, but I'm sure you could use whichever you have.  Also, I rarely have buttermilk on hand but I always have milk - so I usually put 1 T. of vinegar in the bottom of a liquid measuring cup and add lowfat milk to the 1 C. line.  Stir a little & let sit a few mins and you have your own buttermilk substitute!  Also - if you don't have a waffle iron I bet you could make pancakes with this batter.

Recipe Adapted from Eating Well

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments!

If you have a question or problem you can also feel free to email me at vittlesandbits@gmail.com. Thanks for visiting :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...