Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Chewy Chocolate Coconut Blondies


The hubbs and I went to Grammy Vittles' house for dinner last week.  Her girlfriends Mae and Josie Vittles were visiting from Florida, so she had us and my stepdad over.

And oh my goodness.  I only hope that I can have as much fun as these ladies do when I am old and gray.

All three women are widows with condos in the same building on the beach in Florida.  My grandmother spends January through May there, and another month sometime in the fall as well.  (The rest of the time she lives about 5 minutes away from our house!)  And over the years the three of them have found wonderful friends in each other.

Mae, Grammy, & Josie Vittles

Mae and Josie spend an unfathomable amount of time together, and they argue like a married couple.  And after spending 15 straight days with them, I think they were getting on Grammy Vittles' last nerve!

For instance, Mae is always hot and Josie is always cold - so Gram V was doing a whole lot of thermostat shifting throughout their visit.  They also have a very particular way of doing things, and Lord help you if you get in their way!

But in the words of Chris Vittles, they are a hoot.  They had us cracking up.

At this point, I don't think any of them have much of a filter left.  "When you get to be our age," Mae explained, "you get to say and do whatever you want."

Mr. Vittles can hardly wait to get to that point. 

He's already got his fingers crossed for dentures.

"My teeth will be perfect.  Bright & white... straight as a whip..."

He is also anxiously awaiting the transformation of his eyebrows into furry caterpillars.

And at the age of 29, his brows are already growing at an alarming rate.  Not to mention, this trait does run in the family.  So this is a very real possibility.

 actual age simulation
 
As for me, I'm not too psyched for old age.

I already have a few rogue chin hairs I have to pluck, and as time goes on they're only going to make more & more friends. 

Yaya Vittles has been telling me since I was a wee Maggie "Don't get old, Mag."  If only I didn't have to!

But when I do get there, I think I'll say and do whatever I want, too.

And I will definitely eat as many of these blondies as I want.

Chewy Chocolate Coconut Blondies

  • 1 C. cup flour
  • 1 stick (8 T.) butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
  • 1 C. light brown sugar, packed
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 1/2 t. vanilla extract
  • 1 C. sweetened flaked coconut
  • 1 C. chocolate chips or chunks
Topping:
  • 1/2 C. chocolate chips
  • 1 t. butter (which is 1/3 of a tablespoon)

Grease and flour an 8" inch square baking pan.  Heat oven to 350°.

Beat melted butter and brown sugar together until smooth; beat in egg and vanilla extract until well blended.

Slowly beat in the flour until blended, then stir in the coconut and chocolate chips or chocolate chunks.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until set in the center but still soft. Do not overbake.

Let the bars cool slightly before drizzling with chocolate (melt chocolate & butter together in microwave-safe dish, in 10-second intervals, & keep stirring until smooth - then use a spoon to drizzle over bars).  Cool completely before cutting into small squares.


Recipe (barely) Adapted  from Southern Food on About.com

5 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! I love coconut, I think it's normal when you live in Puerto Rico. I'll make soon! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made these... they never "set" or baked all the way through. Taste kind of floury and gooey at the same time... Wondering what went wrong

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marla Sue, they are supposed to be gooey and sticky. As for the floury taste, I didn't notice that but you might try adding a pinch of salt next time. I'm sorry that you did not like them :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I baked them for 3 more minutes, and let them set over night and they're good now! I thought maybe I messed something up, but turns out they weren't baked all the way even though I thought they were about to burn.Very sweet and rich and yummy

    ReplyDelete
  5. These blondies are delicious! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!

If you have a question or problem you can also feel free to email me at vittlesandbits@gmail.com. Thanks for visiting :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...