Sunday, July 4, 2010

Sugar Saucers


I hope everyone is enjoying their 4th of July!

I made these sugar cookies yesterday for a barbecue I went to at Pappy and Candi Vittles'- her sister Aunt Barbra and my cousin Tiphani Vittles were up visiting from Florida.

We don't get to see them often so I wanted to make something extra special.

This... was not it.  (The extra special dessert I made was a chocolate rum bundt cake.  More on that soon!)

But I wanted to make something else to nibble on, especially since I didn't think my cousin Tania Vittles' 11-year old and 4-year old sons would be having too much rum cake :)

I saw these cookies on Annies Eats a couple weeks ago and I thought they looked awesome.  I wasn't too sure about the lemon, though, so I found the original recipe posted somewhere else on Key Ingredient.  I also made them a little smaller since I was bringing them to a party.

Mr. Vittles saw what I was making and commented that he thinks sugar cookies are best when they are undercooked.

This isn't unusual.  Mr. Vittles makes no bones about the fact that he likes soft cookies.

Like, he loves the Chips Ahoy chewy chocolate chip cookies.  Which are super fake & gross tasting, in my opinion.  (Sorry Nabisco, but they are.)

In this case, however, I happen to agree with my husband. I like sugar cookies to be slightly crispy on the outside and give way to a soft center, and these cookies fit that bill. 

Plus... I'm too lazy to roll and cut the cookies.  These still look pretty, and allowed me to use my new red white & blue sprinkles, without all that trouble :)

Sugar Saucers
  • 1/2 C. (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
  • 1/2 C. vegetable oil
  • 1/2 C. granulated sugar
  • 1/2 C. powdered sugar 
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 t. vanilla extract
  • 2 C. flour
  • 1/2 t. baking soda
  • pinch salt
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper, or silicone mats, or grease generously with butter or cooking spray.

Using a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter in a large bowl on medium speed about 1 minute. One ingredient at a time, add the vegetable oil, granulated sugar, powdered sugar, egg, and vanilla, beating on medium speed after each addition until completely incorporated.

Stir in the flour, baking soda, and salt all at once, using a wooden spoon or the mixer set on low. (The dough will be soft.) Refrigerate the dough about 1 hour or freeze for 15 minutes to make it easier to handle.

Using a tablespoon-sized scoop, drop the dough onto the prepared sheets. They should be 2" apart.  Flatten the dough evenly with your finger or palm to 1/4". Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until the edges turn golden.

Recipe from The Pastry Queen by Rebecca Rather, on keyingredient.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments!

If you have a question or problem you can also feel free to email me at vittlesandbits@gmail.com. Thanks for visiting :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...