Monday, June 18, 2012

Black-Bottom Coconut Bars



Hope everyone had a wonderful Father's Day!  I know we did.

We had my dad and stepmom over for a cookout last night, and Saturday night we went to my in-laws for a barbecue.

My mother-in-law made a fabulous summer feast.... and all I had to do was bring a dessert!

Since my father-in-law loves chocolate and coconut, I decided to make something that's been on my Pinterest to-make list for a while- black-bottom coconut bars.

Everyone seemed to enjoy them.  As Mr. Vittles put it... it's basically "a brownie with coconut on top," but my mother-in-law pointed out that they were "a little more sophisticated than that."  Which is true - it's more like a brownie with a macaroon on top.

My brother-in-law, on the other hand, just liked saying the name.

Whatever floats your boat!


Black-Bottom Coconut Bars

Chocolate Base

  • 1/2 C. (1 stick) butter
  • 1/2 C. sugar
  • pinch salt
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/4 C.unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/4 C. all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
  • 1/3 C. dark chocolate chips

For Coconut Topping

  • 2 large eggs
  • 3/4 C. sugar
  • 1/2 t. vanilla extract
  • 1 C. all-purpose flour, (spooned and leveled)
  • 1 7-oz. package sweetened, shredded coconut, 1/2 cup reserved for sprinkling

For chocolate base: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 8-inch square baking pan with aluminum foil, leaving a slight overhang; grease bottom and sides of foil (not overhang).

Place butter in a large microwave-safe bowl; melt in microwave. Add sugar and salt; whisk to combine. Whisk in egg, then cocoa and flour until smooth. Mix in chocolate chips, and spread batter in prepared pan.

Bake just until sides begin to pull away from edges of pan, about 10 to 12 minutes (do not overbake). Let cool slightly while preparing coconut topping. Keep oven on for topping.

For coconut topping: In a medium bowl, whisk eggs with sugar and vanilla. Gently mix in flour and coconut (except 1/2 cup reserved for sprinkling).

Drop mounds of mixture over chocolate base; spread and pat in gently and evenly with moistened fingers or buttered spatula. Sprinkle with reserved 1/2 cup coconut.

Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs attached, 23 to 28 minutes. Cool completely in pan. Lift cake from pan, peel off foil, and cut into 16 bars.

Recipe Adapted from Martha Stewart, dicovered on Gonna Want Seconds

9 comments:

  1. Oh wow. These are so drool worthy. Must make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They can call it anything they want. I call it delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delicious! My husband would love these

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not like chocolate. Is there a method for converting this recipe to "blondie bottom coconut bars?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! You could probably use a basic blondie recipe, bake it brIefly, and then follow the instructions above for the topping & final baking. I've never tried it though so I can't guarantee how it will turn out! The only thing I'm concerned about is how thick the blondies are... the brownie base above is not that thick, so you may want to halve a blondie recipe thats made for an 8x8 pan. Good luck! :)

      Delete
  5. Would desiccated coconut work for this recipe.. I have a lot of it..bought by mistake and would like to use it for something as wonderful as these bars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Medeja! Hmmm honestly I'm not sure that would turn out very well... different texture & sugar content may not work :( i hate when u buy the wrong thing by mistake though! You could probably use it in the chocolate chip coconut cookies recipe on my index?

      Delete
  6. Waiting till I get off my diet to try these! Won't be long ( I hope). Love , Big Poppa

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made these and they are fantastic !! So good ! Family approved

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!

If you have a question or problem you can also feel free to email me at vittlesandbits@gmail.com. Thanks for visiting :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...