Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Oatmeal Raisin Breakfast Bars


So I feel badly that I haven't posted in over a week, but the last seven days have been pretty interesting for us.

Between paying our income taxes (plus the accountant), paying off the first year of insurance for our new house, packing our belongings, dumpster diving for free cardboard boxes, and having my brain scrambled by the (extremely adorable & well-meaning) seller who tried to teach me about all her beautiful plants around the house.... it turns out I am not only poor, but also botanically-challenged, and incredibly tired.

(And... we haven't even had to sign away our life savings and our first-born child at closing yet.  That's next Monday.)

Sooo... needless to say I haven't spent much time in the kitchen lately.  But a few weeks ago I got a recipe from Mr. Vittles' aunt for 'granola bars' that are super yummy.  They are basically like oatmeal cookies, but without a leavening agent, and for breakfast.  

Raise your hand if you like cookies for breakfast?

(P.S. if you didn't raise your hand, I will forced to rethink our friendship.  Just sayin'.)

His little cousin actually made the ones we tried at their house, this is a good recipe for kids.  (BTW, she was also helping her mom make chocolate cake while we were visiting - definitely a girl after my own heart!)

Sadly my bars came out a little more dry than hers, I think maybe because I used whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose.  (I also added whole flax seeds, but that shouldn't really affect the moisture in the bars).  But they were still really good.  You can use whichever flour you prefer, or a mixture of both, and feel free to switch up the dried fruit too.  Just be sure to watch these carefully in the oven, because they do burn easily!


Oatmeal Raisin Breakfast Bars

  • 2 C. old fashioned oats (not the quick-cook kind)
  • 1 C. flour (all-purpose or whole wheat, or a mixture of both)
  • 3/4 C. brown sugar
  • 3/4 C. raisins (or other dried fruit of your choosing)
  • 1/2 C. wheat germ
  • 1/4 C. whole flax seeds
  • 3/4 t. salt
  • 3/4 t. cinnamon
  • 1/2 C. canola oil
  • 1/2 C. honey
  • 2 t. vanilla extract
  • 1 egg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, and cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper.  Set aside.

In a large bowl, mix together all dry ingredients (oats through cinnamon).  In a small bowl, whisk together canola oil, honey, vanilla, and egg.  Add to dry ingredients and mix with a spoon until evenly coated and well-combined. 

Then, with wet hands, place 5 clumps of the mixture on the cookie sheet and shape them slightly into even bars.  (This should use half your mixture - you will have about 10 bars total, depending on how large you make them).  Bake 18-20 minutes, watching carefully toward the end of the baking time so bars do not burn.  Cool briefly on pans then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.  Repeat with remaining half of mixture.

Makes about 10 breakfast bars.

Adapted Slightly from Family Recipe

9 comments:

  1. mmmmm, these look yummy; my mouth is watering for a taste!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look really, really good! I can definitely do cookies for breakfast! Thanks for sharing this! Allen.

    P.S. - Enjoy your new house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the ingredients combination of these bars...I'm gonna try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cookies for breakfast?! Yeah, I can't argue with that...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh a breakfast cookie sounds amazing. I love these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you have had a crazy week! I'm surprised you had the time to make these cookies at all! I'd be elbow deep trying to pack and organize :) Love these cookies though, they look very healthy and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you have been busy bee..hopefully you will get some "me" time to relax! I love cookies for breakfast..coffee+cookie and I am in heaven!
    Your cookies look fantastic!!! Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like something I could easily "low carb" so pinning it for later :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh! I don't know if you are still in need of boxes or not but hit up your local comic shop! We have tons every Tuesday morning and because they are built to hold 50lbs of books they are really really sturdy. >< I hope you have ironed every thing out though and things are coming together well! (PS, not sure how far into NJ you are, but if its not too terrible a drive I can save our stores boxes for you).

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!

If you have a question or problem you can also feel free to email me at vittlesandbits@gmail.com. Thanks for visiting :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...