Friday, January 27, 2012

Snack Mix Roasted Potatoes


If you've ever read my post on homemade Chex Mix, you know that I have a very specific method for eating it.

My friend Natalie was the best person for me to share a pre-made bag with because I only like the Chex & pretzels, and her favorite was the bagel chips & breadsticks.

So when my mom started making her own Chex Mix, I saw no reason for her to put in those silly little pale breadsticks & disgusting rye bagel chips.

And seriously - wheat Chex?  Please.

For the birds, I say.

But she flat out refused, claiming plain corn Chex & pretzels was far too boring.

There had to be variety.

So.... I just continued to pick out the pieces I liked, and left whatever I didn't want.

(I used to do this with other things too.  I was always getting yelled at for picking out all the M&Ms and raisins from a jar of Costco trail mix she kept in our kitchen).

Then my birthday came around.

My mother asked, "What kind of cake do you want?"

"Whatever - something chocolate.  But I also want Chex mix - with only corn Chex.  Not even pretzels."

She shook her head.  "I wouldn't exactly call that a mix, but hey - it's your birthday."

Yep.  Chex 'mix' with just corn Chex.  She and my stepdad never let me live that one down.  (Mr. Vittles eventually joined in on the fun as well, as it became a birthday tradition).

But I ate the entire batch by myself, and loved every second of it.

Only recently did it occur to me that the seasonings of Chex mix would probably transfer well to roasted potatoes.


But these aren't technically a 'mix' either .... I guess if you're feeling crazy you can throw in some bagel chips?

Snack Mix Roasted Potatoes

  • 1 1/2 lb. russet or yukon gold potatoes, skinned & cut in 1" dice
  • 2 T. canola oil
  • 1 T. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 t. kosher salt
  • 1/2 t. onion powder
  • 1 t. garlic powder
  • 1/4 t. smoked paprika (or regular, is fine)
  • 1/2 t. seasoned salt
  • dash cayenne pepper

Preheat oven 400 degrees.

Combine oil with Worcestershire and spices in a small bowl or measuring cup.  Skin & dice potatoes and place in large bowl.  Cover with oil mixture, and toss to coat.

Spread out potatoes on a baking sheet greased with nonstick spray, and bake in preheated oven 45 minutes to one hour, stirring carefully with a heatproof rubber spatula every 15 minutes until done.  Adjust seasonings to taste, and serve immediately.  Serves 3-4

Original Recipe

11 comments:

  1. Mmmm...sounds good! I'll be trying this recipe.

    (I pick out the M&Ms and almonds from the Costco mix - it doesn't go over well with my husband)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dig roast potatoes how ever they come - they're entirely addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) this post made me smile... :) Love the roast potatoes... they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love roasted potatoes, and I can't wait to try this spice combination on them! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet those rock! I'm trying them asap!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too only like the Corn Chex and an occasional pretzel... The other stuff - no thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mine did not turn out as pretty as yours, but they had a good flavor. Thanks for great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Dee, I hope you still enjoyed them! :)

      Delete
  8. I like rice chex only, although I do make it with a mixture, I usually end-up just eating the rice chex and pretzels :) BTW, I love your zucchini chip idea and will be trying them soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So nice to know I'm not the only one who picks out just the good-stuff in chex mix. I like to make my own with crispex ONLY and up the spices I like best. It ends up with some pieces that are actually a little chewy and OH SO DELICIOUS.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!

If you have a question or problem you can also feel free to email me at vittlesandbits@gmail.com. Thanks for visiting :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...