Sunday, November 6, 2011

Spiced Sweet Potato Muffins


When I was a kid, you would never catch sweet potatoes (in any form) on my plate.

My mom always loved them, though, so I dunno ... maybe it eventually rubbed off on me?  But one day I decided they were pretty good, and the attraction has only grown from there.

As an adult, I just love them.

Mr. Vittles... not so much.

So I typically only get to have sweet potatoes when I'm out at restaurants.

But when my mother-in-law recently gave us some of her incredible pumpkin muffins, I got an idea.

Mr. Vittles rarely gets excited about food, however his mom's pumpkin muffins are one of his favorites.  (She also makes the recipe in the form of bread, which is a Thanksgiving staple in the family!)

So I was thinking... what if I made sweet potato muffins? They would probably taste similar to the pumpkin, and maybe Mr. V would finally understand my love for sweet potatoes.

Well... you know what they say about best laid plans.

The hubbster would only try one little bite and said "It's ok.  For having sweet potatoes in it."


I had to laugh.  To me, they tasted almost the same as his mom's.  "You can't even taste the sweet potato!" I protested.  But he insisted that he could tell.

Ugh.

I'm calling shenanigans.

It's all in his mind.

These are freakin' delicious.

But you let me know what you think.

Spiced Sweet Potato Muffins

  • 1 1/4 C. all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 C. whole wheat pastry flour
  • 3/4 t. salt
  • 1 1/4 C. sugar
  • 1 t. baking soda
  • 1 t. cinnamon
  • 1/4 t. ground allspice
  • 1/4 t. ground ginger
  • 1/8 t. ground nutmeg
  • 1/8 t. ground cloves
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 C. oil
  • 1/4 C. milk
  • 1 C. cooked sweet potato puree
  • 1 T. molasses

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a 12-cup muffin tin, or line with paper liners.  Set aside.

In large bowl, mix dry ingredients (flour through cloves).  In a separate medium bowl, whisk eggs with oil, milk, sweet potato, and molasses.  Make a well in the center of dry ingredients, and pour in wet.  Mix only until dry ingredients are moistened - do not overmix.

Fill each muffin cup 3/4 of the way full with batter (you may end up with a little leftover).  Bake 20-22 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean.  Cool 2-3 minutes in pan, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.  Keeps up to one week in an airtight container.

Note: These are also awesome cut in half and browned in a toaster oven :) Yum!

Original Recipe

11 comments:

  1. I never have enough sweet potatoes. This recipe looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so beautiful and simple! I love the idea of using sweet potatoes for a yummy muffin - amazing with cream cheese frosting im sure : j

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound delicious! I imagine they would be even sweeter than pumpkin muffins! I love all of the spices you have added!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum! I love anything sweet potato and always love me a good muffin. These look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are things Handsome wont even take a bite of if I don't hide the ingredients first. What they don't know.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. First time I taste it sweet potatoes were when I came to US 14 years ago and instantly I love them so much! This look incredible..I have to make them soon!!!!By the way..as always very funny post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never had sweet potato pie, bread, muffins.... These muffins do look great! Thanks for the recipe and linking to TMTT.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are sweet potato LOVERS in this house... I will need to give these a go! Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tried this recipe yesterday and it tasted more like gingerbread. The sweet potato was hidden.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What’s up everybody, here every person is sharing such familiarity, therefore it’s good to read this webpage, and I used to pay a visit this web site every day. Feel free to visit my website;
    일본야동

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!

If you have a question or problem you can also feel free to email me at vittlesandbits@gmail.com. Thanks for visiting :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...