Monday, December 20, 2010

Spiced Coffee

Mr. Vittles and I just returned from a fabulous ski weekend in Lake Placid, New York with another couple.

 Kristen, Chris, Mr. V, and myself

Not that I actually did any skiing.  I spent most of my time shopping, spa-ing, and eating with Kristen (remember her delicious warm potato salad?) while our husbands went off to the mountain.

Normally I hate the cold & snow, but I must admit that the setting was so beautiful and serene.  Here is what our hotel, the Whiteface Lodge, looks like from the outside.

 ©2010 The Whiteface Lodge

Not to mention our suite was amazing and incredibly cozy.  This was exactly what our living room looked like:

©2010 The Whiteface Lodge

Seriously, I might have moved in if they let me.  And I have no doubts that it would have been a marvelous few weeks, before my life savings were drained and I was thrown out of the hotel... penniless, but thoroughly relaxed.

 the hotel's beautiful christmas tree

So in the spirit of winter fun and warm drinks sipped by the fire, I wanted to share this coffee with you.  Mr. V says its like mulled apple cider in coffee-form.  If you are not a fan of citrus, just leave out the orange zest.

Spiced Coffee
  • 8 T. ground coffee (freshly ground is best)
  • 2 t. ground cinnamon
  • 1 t. ground nutmeg
  • 1 t. ground cloves
  • 1/4 t. freshly grated orange zest 
Fill coffee maker with enough water for 8 cups (using measurements on your pot, not a measuring cup).  Fill coffee filter with ground coffee, then add spices & zest.  Brew per manufacturer's instructions.  Yields 8 cups (the number of servings depends on how much you put in your mugs).

Recipe slightly adapted from Food Network's Anne Thorton


  1. Oh wow..wonderful photos! Thanks for sharing! Coffee sound spicy:)) love it!

  2. The coffee sounds wonderfully comforting - like the idea of the orange zest! Lake Placid is a great getaway - glad to read you enjoyed it!

  3. I have been wondering about spiced coffee lately. Harney and Sons makes a Holiday Tea that I just can't get enough of but would love something like that in coffee form. Thanks for sharing this with us! Have a happy and safe Christmas!


I love reading your comments!

If you have a question or problem you can also feel free to email me at Thanks for visiting :)


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...